COMPUTER SKIILS: Packages: Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Frontpage; Programming languages: HTML, Java (beginner), Perl, CGI, CSS, XML, SQL, Matlab; Operating Systems: Unix, Windows NT; Databases: Oracle 8, Microsoft Access; Networking: TCP/IP
FOREIGN LANGUAGES: Swahili, French and Japanese
CERTIFICATIONS: Mediator (State of Massachusetts)
MIT, Cambridge, MA 8/1996 – 6/2000
Courses included: Manufacturing System Design (MRP, Lean, Kanban, JIT), Control Systems, System Modeling and Dynamics, Management for Engineers, Product Engineering Process, Complex Infrastructure Design, Intermediate Japanese (2 years). GPA: 4.4/5.0
Strathmore College 1/1996 - 6/1996
Associate Degree in Management Information Systems (IMIS, UK)
Courses Include: Financial Accounting, Statistics, Data Processing, Programming in Visual Basic, Business Communications.
Alliance High School 1/1992 – 12/1995
TENFOLD CORPORATION, Chicago, IL
Applications Developer/Onsite Consultant 8/2000 – 6/2001
Translated business requirements using proprietary technology into different components of web enabled, client server, transaction applications for three different vertical markets.
· Applications Developer, SkyTel Project, Performance Tuning and Scalability team
Performance tuned a $22 million web-enabled CRM system whose functionality included order entry/processing, inventory management, billing, customer management, trouble ticket tracking, and commission processing.
- Determined requirements for performance testing of collections batch process.
- Created data for Oracle database using SQL loader and TenFold Imports.
- Modeled and managed data requirements. Documented results of scalability tests conducted on critical transactions for 1000 Customer Service Representatives. Tasks required familiarity in using SQL, UNIX, Oracle, Microsoft Excel, Perl and Windows NT.
- Resolved comments from customer feedback for interface used in data export.
· On-site Consultant, Allstate Independent Agency Markets, Testing Team
Tested an Internet policy quotes and administration application.
- Created regression tests and compiled documentation to verify quality of key application functionality: rating quotes, issuing insurance policies and endorsing issued policies.
- Provided suggestions to improve Interlink’s performance and functionality.
· Applications Developer, Bonneville Power Administration Project, SettlementNOW! Build For Hire team
Performed development tasks on a billing and settlement system for wholesale customers who purchase power capacity, energy and transmission services from BPA.
- Resolved errors reported after regression test runs.
- Resolved defects in the application reported against the team.
- Updated Release notes, Concepts Manuals and Regression Test documentation.
MIT AFRICAN INTERNET TECHNOLOGY INITIATIVE (MIT-AITI), Nairobi, Kenya
Co-founder and Student Projects Coordinator Summer 2000
Planned, fund raised and executed summer Internet project using prior experience from Shanghai, China. Teamed with 3 MIT Computer Science colleagues used a $40,000 budget (including router and switch corporate donations) to teach a 5-week Java course and implement Internet projects at Strathmore College. Accomplishments included:
Undergraduate Researcher (Senior Thesis) 9/1999 – 5/2000
Carried out a comparative study of Lean Manufacturing and Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP II) as tools for shop floor control in a production environment.
The study was part of a larger effort by MIT’s Production System Design Laboratory to establish an information system that meets the physical requirements of a physical (manufacturing) system
MIT-Japan Program Summer Intern, Corporate R&D Department Summer 1999
Redesigned silicon wafer transfer robot to provide cost and time savings to Japan’s leading manufacturer of semiconductor processing equipment by reducing the machine footprint by 20%.
MIDDLETON AEROSPACE (Magellan Enterprises), Middleton, MA
Undergraduate Researcher Spring 1999
Worked in a team of 3 MIT Mechanical Engineering students to design a cost effective manufacturing cell for improved material flow of turbine casing parts through the production plant floor. Middleton Aerospace is a $450 million company that manufactures shaft and cylinder casings for aerospace engineering applications. The main customers are GE, Allied, Allison, Volvo, Rolls Royce and the US Government. The final design cut down the production cycle time by 50%.
MIT ALUMNI ASSOCIATION, Cambridge, MA
Student Office Assistant/Webmaster 1/1998 – 6/1999
Coordinated activities for MIT’s ‘Tech Week and Reunions’, the Alumni Association’s most visible annual events.
MIT CHINESE EDUCATIONAL TECHNICAL INITIATIVE (MIT-CETI), Shanghai, China
Intern, High School Attached to Fudan University Summer 1998
Worked in a team of 3 MIT students (2 Computer Science and 1 Mechanical Engineering) with a $10,000 budget to design and teach classes on Internet Technology. Used Microsoft Frontpage and digital cameras donated by Kodak. Accomplishments included:
· Created of an interactive website dubbed ‘Virtual Shanghai’ where students profiled the city’s major points of interest.
· Set up a server and configured workstations to create a network for use in instruction.
· Participated in coordinating a nationally televised conference to profile our work.
Squash, traveling, cycling, swimming, mastering the Internet, singing and reading.
Burchard Scholar (Excellence in the Humanities)
President, MIT Gospel Choir
President, MIT African Students Association
Graduate, Leadershape Institute